Watermelon Pistachio Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette. What a great dish to kick off the first day of summer!
Since this blog is about exploring new food things, I decided to out of my comfort zone and try eating fruit mixed with non-fruit items. I was the kid…Ok… in college too, that didn’t like my food to touch. Except gravy…gravy can touch everything! I have grown out of it (a bit), but there are still some things I’m leery about. But I’m here to explore new foods and new combinations. So I gave this watermelon salad a try.
OMG! Delicious! If you break down all the ingredients — I love them on their own, so all put to together — it was delicious savory treat! Have a wonderful summer and try this watermelon salad to cool down during those hot summer days!
- 1 watermelon, 4-5 lbs
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 tablespoons bacon, crumbled
- ⅓ cup pistachio, toasted and chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Remove watermelon from rind and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place into a medium bowl.
- Thinly slice the red onion and place into the bowl.
- Add chopped mint, basil and feta cheese, bacon and pistachios.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, oil, mustard and honey until combined.
- To serve, place each serving on a plate and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread a single layer of pistachios on a baking sheet. Bake until light brown and fragrant about 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently to ensure the pistachios toast evenly. Allow to cool before chopping.