Skinny Egg Salad with fresh dill, chopped celery and red onion makes a nice gluten-free open-faced sandwich, or closed. Both will be delicious. Food is a great way to trigger a memory or a place. There are definitely certain foods that I will always love more for the memory than the actual food. Like my great-grandma’s egg salad, no idea why egg salad reminds me of lunch at her house. We probably had it one time and it made an impression.
When my family would visit my great-grandparents in New Jersey back in the early 80’s, my great-grandpa would give us each a small jelly jar stuffed with mini marshmallows. Being the oldest of my sister and I and our two cousins, I’m the only one who remembers it was his tradition. After he passed away, our great-grandma carried on the tradition and still to this day, I won’t pass up a marshmallow. I remember standing in their kitchen patiently waiting for the small jar of treats and then running off to the living room to show my parents in hopes of having their approval. I didn’t know my great-grandpa very well, being only six years old when he died. I do wonder if he knew the memories he was creating in that moment or if he was just enjoying the time spoiling his great-grandchildren. Both are wonderful and it’s truly amazing how something so small can mean so much.
What’s your favorite food memory?
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- black pepper
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread, toasted
- Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Cover eggs with a tight-fitting lid and remove from heat; set aside for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain well and let cool before peeling and dicing, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice.
- Add diced eggs, onion, celery, dill, chives and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place a leaf of lettuce on each slice of toasted bread then scoop an equal amount of egg salad on each sandwich.