Quinoa is so versatile. It’s great for a side dish, breakfast, pudding and now pie crust! Its a super easy crust to make — I swear it takes a quarter of the time of regular pie crust. Its made with quinoa — which is super nutritious. Did I mention the time savings? That alone, will add quiche back into my life. Well that and its a delicious fool-proof gluten-free alternative.
The quinoa crust adds a great contrast to the quiche. The filling is soft and smooth and the crust adds a crunchy-ness. I made a ham and cheese quiche (that is what I had on hand), but of course, this crust would work for any quiche. Spinach, bacon, onion, goat cheese, asparagus and the list goes on.
What your favorite quiche?
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup gluten-free oat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a 9” pie plate or 4 mini pie plates with non-cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together quinoa, flour, flaxseed and egg.
- Using a fork, fold in butter into quinoa mixture.
- Press dough evenly into the 9" pie plate. If using 4 minis, divide dough into 4 equal parts and press dough evenly into each pie plate.
- Bake the empty pie plate(s) for 10 minutes .
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup cooked ham, thickly sliced and cubed
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until well-combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour into the prepared 9" pie plate. Make sure the egg mixture does not reach the very top of the pie plate.
- Scatter the ham, cheese and thyme evenly over the filling.
- Bake 400°F for 30-35 minutes or until set, lightly golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- 4 Mini Quiches
- Pour egg mixture into each prepared mini pie plate, not filling to the top.
- Divide the ham, cheese and thyme into four and sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, or until set. lightly golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.