I’m a huge fan of dinners that you can make ahead and pull out later. I’m usually very good about coming up with dinners and planning them out. But, let’s face it, life doesn’t always stick to the plan. And sometimes, you just want a quick and easy dinner. Meatballs are great! You can serve them with pasta, in a sub, a topping for pizza, add them in soup or just with sauce and cheese. You can double the batch and freeze the left overs for future meals taking out only what you need at the time.
These Quinoa Chicken Meatballs are a great twist on the meatball. No use of breadcrumbs…yay! Making this a naturally gluten-free meatball. They have a different texture then regular meatballs, especially before baking. They are heavy on egg, but you need that to keep the meatball together. They hold their shape, but it’s a little loose. Definitely not as firm as a regular meatball. But don’t worry, they will bake up just fine.
I hope you enjoy these naturally gluten-free meatballs.
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- In a medium saucepan, put quinoa and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Pour quinoa in a large bowl and cool.
- Preheat oven to 450° F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After quinoa has cooled, add all ingredients into the bowl.
- Using your hands, mix well until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Shape the meat mixture into balls, about the size of a golf ball.
- Place meatballs in even rows on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly brown and crispy.