Happy New Year! Ok, so I’m a little late with getting started this year. When I first started Gluten Free Yumms, I wanted it to be my creative outlet, plus share my gluten-free experiences whether it was in the kitchen or on the road. I have to be honest with you, my creative outlet has become a little bit of a stress. I’ve decided to cut back my posts per week to two. Every Tuesday, I will post a new yummy gluten-free recipe and every Thursday, I will either post a review on a product, restaurant or cookbook or simply share some informative information about the gluten-free world. Now, I know that other bloggers out there post three plus times a week, but it’s not working for me and I’d rather give quality recipes and content than just throw up something to have a post. Plus, I want this to be fun! I want to share my experiences and give you my time and not feel rushed to meet a deadline.
To start off the new year and the new format — Oatmeal Pancakes!
What I’m still amazed about with these pancakes is that you can’t taste the oats. You can see the full oats in the batter, but once you make the pancakes — they vanish. It’s a smooth, fluffy pancake.
These pancakes are delicious. The subtle cinnamon flavor gives them a little unique taste without being too cinnamony. I don’t recommend eating the batter or judging the pancakes on the batter, it’s a little gritty. (The cooked pancakes are not gritty.) I got about 12 good size pancakes with this recipe. I ended up freezing the left overs (separating with wax paper), I’ll have to report back on how they do coming out of the freezer.
I have not tried it, but I think you could had blueberries or chocolate chips to these pancakes to create other variations. The oatmeal pancake has simple flavor with just a touch of cinnamon.
- ¾ cup gluten-free quick cooking oats
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Soak oats in 1 cup of buttermilk for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in egg, oil, brown sugar, vanilla, remaining buttermilk and oat mixture into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot and lightly brush with coconut oil.
- Pour ¼ cup batter per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Flip with spatula and cook for about 1 minute. Lightly oil griddle in between batches.