Gluten-Free Spicy Queso is a warm, smooth, cheesy dip with an added kick from a jalapeno pepper and a dash of chipotle chile powder. I’ve been craving queso for months now. It’s so depressing going out to a Mexican restaurant and being denied this cheesy goodness. Watching Brian dip his warm tortilla chip into the hot, saucy white dip. Oh-so-jealous!
This recipe is delicious and was well worth the wait! It’s just like the restaurants, but better. I made it my way. A little spicy and leftovers for another day. I think that’s the best part. Other variations of this recipe is to add diced tomatoes (2 Roma, seeded), finely chopped cilantro or your favorite sausage cooked and crumbled when you add in the spices. Oh, and let the pan soak in hot water…it will make clean-up a little easier.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (veggie, olive, canola)
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno or serrano, seeds and stem removed; diced
- 12 oz white American cheese,* shredded
- 4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (don't use pre-shredded)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash chipotle chile powder
- In a medium pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and pepper and cook until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add the shredded cheese and ½ cup of half and half.
- Stir until mostly melted, add the spices and remaining half and half a little at a time while stirring until you reach desired consistency.
- Serve warm with chips or warm tortillas.
- Leftovers can be microwaved. Add more half and half or water to keep consistency. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.