A delicious side dish easily made with Udi’s gluten-free sandwich bread, sautéed leeks and garlic mixed with a custard of eggs, cream, milk, cheddar and Parmesan cheese, diced smoked ham and savory spices. Perfect for any holiday!
It’s still hard to believe we are already talking Thanksgiving. This year went by so fast. I still have no idea what I’m doing for the holidays. The original plan was to visit my family back East, but gosh..plane tickets seem higher this year and the times – who wants to leave at 1:30am and arrive at 9:30am with a layover. I’m getting to old to stay up all night. LOL. I need to make a decision soon. It’s only a few weeks away and ticket prices are only going to go up or be gone. Whatever I decide, it will be a fun Thanksgiving. A holiday based around food – this should be my favorite holiday!
What are your Thanksgiving plans?
Even your non-gluten-free guests will enjoy this side dish. The savory spices and sautéed leeks add an amazing flavor. Simply delicious!
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 ¼ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup smoked ham, diced
- 6 cups gluten-free bread, cut into about 1-inch cubes (I used one loaf of Udi’s white bread)
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 11x17 baking dish, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and ham.
- Fold in bread cubes, set aside.
- For the leeks, cut off the roots and dark greens. Slice lengthwise and run under cool water to wash away the dirt and grit. Thinly slice.
- Over medium heat, melt butter and sautée leeks for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and sautée for 1 minute.
- Fold into bread mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minute or until center is set. Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.