Holiday Cookie #3: Gluten-Free Eggnog Cookies with Eggnog Frosting
A small delicious cookie with a hint of eggnog flavor and spices topped with a creamy eggnog spice frosting.
Can you believe it’s almost Christmas and end the of 2015? I’m a little excited to start the new year. 2015 wasn’t the best and it will be nice to have it behind me. I do need to make a list of goals for 2016 and start working towards those. It could be a big year in terms of change. Where and how I’m living, but we’ll see. A lot of little things need to align in order for that to fall into place. One thing at a time, right?
I’m really glad that these cookies worked out. I made five different types of cookies this holiday and only three were good and tasty. I attempted gingerbread cookie press cookies and maybe it was I don’t really like gingerbread cookies or they were very blah. Not a lot of taste to them. I even doubled the spices. The first failed were snowballs cookies that exploded on bite or even a touch. Those were good, but not what I wanted. I was told to try them again, since they can be a bit delicate to make. All the planets and stars need to align just right. Maybe next year I’ll give them another go.
It’s looking like a white Christmas for us here in Colorado. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.
- Eggnog Cookies
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Pamela's)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum* (omit if you flour blend has xanthan gum)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Eggnog Frosting
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 5tablespoons eggnog
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease cookie sheet, set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, cream butter, sugars until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, eggnog and vanilla, continue beating until creamy.
- Add flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Beat on medium until well combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop or roll into one inch balls and place two inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 8-10 minutes and cook on wire rack
- Eggnog Frosting
- Cream butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add eggnog, nutmeg and cinnamon. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth. Frost cooled cookies and sprinkle nutmeg over the frosting in desired.