A healthy open-faced egg breakfast with a thin crepe topped with smashed avocado, crumbled bacon garnished with fresh lemon juice and smoke paprika. I don’t have bacon very often and when I do, I have the real deal. Since I wanted to make this recipe a bit more healthy, I tried turkey bacon for the first time. Now, very unfair of me to compare real bacon with turkey bacon, but that’s what I did. I have to admit, I was not impressed. I cooked per that package directions in the oven and went on the long end of the time to get it crispy. I loved that the amount of grease was low, but the bacon didn’t crisp up like I thought it would. I made about half the package thinking I could sprinkle over my salads for lunch or snack on.
The time came to taste the turkey bacon, it was weird. It was chewy and didn’t have a particular taste. I really just wanted it to be over. Now, let’s fast forward to the next day when I gave the bacon another go. Oh! To my surprise, it wasn’t that bad and almost tasty. I ate two whole pieces. Not sure why the second day was different, but I’m going with it and the second half of the package won’t go to waste. Maybe I was focused on it being like bacon and felt disappointed. Who know. I might try baking it a few minutes longer next time to see if I can get it to crisp even more. Does this mean that bacon will be in my life more? I doubt it, but it’s nice to have healthier alternative.
The Fried Egg with Smashed Avocado Breakfast Crepe is layered with fresh flavors, it’s hard to eat to just one.
- 1 recipe for Gluten-Free Crepes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and smashed
- 4 pieces bacon, crumbled
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Smoke Paprika
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Carefully crack 2 eggs into the pan without touching, season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Fry to desired doneness.
- Repeat with remaining eggs.
- To serve, place 4 crepes on individual plates, top each with ¼ of the smashed avocado, ¼ of the crumbled bacon and 1 fried egg.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon wedge over each crepe, sprinkle with paprika and serve.