I love salsa! I could eat it every day and never get tired of it. While visiting Kaua’i a few months ago, I found some Kauai’s Salsa Chunky Style in the local Safeway. It reminded me of the salsa I made back when I first graduated from college. Back when time moved slower, or so it seemed, and you had time for everything. I won’t lie, it takes forever to chop all the ingredients up. I haven’t made this salsa in, wow, almost 16 years! How lazy I’ve been with my salsa making. Yes, I’ll admit — I’ve been throwing everything into a blender and making a smooth salsa. It literally takes five minutes to make. But the SO doesn’t care for that kind and convinced to me to make the fresh and chunky version.
Ohhhh…. how much I missed you! It was so tasty before I even got it into the fridge to chill. The smell of the all the fresh ingredients is just wonderful and a happy reminder that summer is on it’s way.
- 4 tomatoes, large and fresh
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco or Sriracha, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, place all chopped ingredients.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cover and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Serve with gluten-free tortilla chips.