Everything Bagel Spiced Hummus is a perfect snack or appetizer made with garbanzo beans, fresh lemon juice and seasonings topped with the spices of an everything bagel, dried onion and garlic, poppy seeds and sesame seeds drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil. Serve with fresh veggies, gluten-free crackers or gluten-free pita chips.
This was my first time making hummus from scratch and the most time consuming part was de-skinning the garbanzo beans. It took about 45 minutes for the two cans. Note to self, next time grab a chair. But once that was complete, it took no time at all to whip up this homemade hummus. I served the Everything Bagel Spiced Hummus up with some lentil gluten-free crackers I found at the grocery store – that were absolutely delish, by the way. One thing I love about making recipes at home, you can add more! Loving the everything bagel spice – I ate it up first. So good! Then I just added more everything bagel spice and it was like I never ate the top layer. Guilt-free snack! Until its all gone….in one sitting.
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and deskinned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- For garnish
- ½ teaspoon olive or sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried onion
- In a high powered blender or food processor, add the chickpeas, garlic, onion powder, cumin, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and 4 tablespoons of water. (Add more water if it is not creamy and coming together one tablespoon at a time.)
- Scoop into serving dish and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried garlic and onion.
- Serve with crackers and vegetables.