One of my favorite lunches is soup. I made the Chipotle Fire Roasted Tomato Soup and was missing the crushed saltines I used to top off my soup with. I tried Rice Chex, but honestly…so not the same. They got very soggy, very quickly. I have yet to see a gluten-free saltine in the grocery store, so I’m thinking it’s a hard task. Not one that I’m not willing to take on, but in the meantime I’d like to have something crunchy in my soup.
These super easy croutons are made from polenta, olive oil, black pepper and salt. Simply mix the ingredients together in a large bowl and bake. The croutons are great for soups or salads.
What’s your favorite soup and topping?
- 1 package polenta (Food Merchants Organic Polenta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F and lightly spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove polenta from packaging and cut off ends. Slice polenta into ½” thick pieces. Cut those pieces into cubes.
- Place polenta in a large bowl and add olive oil, black pepper and season with salt.
- Using your hands, mix polenta until its completely coated with olive oil.
- Spread polenta cubes on prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes and flip croutons.
- Continue baking for another 20-30 minutes, until croutons are crispy and lightly brown.
- Serve in soup or over a salad.