I warned you that there would be other donut hole recipes. The SO went and got donuts the other day – it was torture! The way the glazed cracked on the donut and the chocolate frosting dipped down the side. They looked sooooo good. The one good thing about being gluten-free is that you have to really want something (aka bake it), in order to have it. You can’t just drive thru the nearest Dunkin’ Donuts and get your fix.
I’m really liking the donut holes. You can just pop one in your mouth and be on your way. And they are so small, if you eat four or five- its not that bad, right?
I had some apple cider in the fridge and thought, it’s almost fall – why not make some donuts and get my donut fix. These are yummy! Even the batter was tasty. I used the mini muffin tin again, but if you have a donut hole pan, you can definitely use that. I’m just not 100% how many you’ll get from this recipe. These are so moist and tasty. I can’t wait to have a few with my morning cup of coffee tomorrow.
- 1 cup apple cider, reduced to ½ cup and cooled
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, heat cider over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes to reduce to ½ cup.
- Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 24 mini muffin pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisk together.
- In a small bowl, whisk butter, egg, vanilla, buttermilk and cider together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Spoon batter into tin, filling almost full.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in tin.
- Remove from tin and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon.
- Coat each donut by rolling in the cinnamon-sugar.