I hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July. I spent this year’s 4th floating down the Green River in Dutch John, Utah. Brian and I did a self-supported float trip which included dropping off the car at the pick up point, riding our bikes about nine miles back to camp where we launched the inflatable kayak to begin our float. It was a whirl-wind of a day. The high desert heat made the bike ride a bit warm to say the least, but quickly cooled down with a thunderstorm that popped up out of nowhere causing us to flee the river and take refuge on the river bank. I was extremely thankful that I remembered my rain jacket, it poured and it was freezing. Lucky for us, the rain did blow through and the rest of the day was filled with sunshine. We floated about ten miles through a beautiful canyon filled with trout, deer, ducks and even a couple of bald eagles, which are always so majestic to see. We finished our day with a couple of whiskey ginger ales, a grilled marinaded pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, raw veggies and of course my favorite of all the fireworks, sparklers!
The Chicken Watermelon Salad is made with butter lettuce, rotisserie chicken, watermelon, cubed cucumber, sliced radishes, crumbled feta cheese and sprinkled with roasted sunflower seeds topped with a homemade Honey Lime dressing. This easy summer salad is perfect for lunch or even a light dinner on those hot summer nights.
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 cups watermelon, cut into bite size chunks
- ½ cup radishes, sliced
- ½ cucumber, seeded, cut into ⅓-inch cubes
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl and toss.
- Drizzle with Honey Lime Dressing (see recipe below).
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- In a small container with a lid (I used a mason jar), mix together lime juice, honey, salt and pepper and shake well to mix.