We went to the Conifer, CO BBQ Challenge this weekend. It was a great time, lots of BBQ and even some that was gluten-free. But boy, was it a reminder that people don’t really understand gluten-free. They just associate gluten-free with wheat. But there’s a bunch of other stuff that has gluten too. This one vendor explained to me that two of their BBQ sauces didn’t contain wheat, but when I read the label — they contained both barley and rye. This made me a bit nervous and I decided not to try their BBQ. It was hard to — shrimp and kielbasa on a stick, Yumm!
The next vendor I went to was very confident about the no gluten in any of their sauces, soup mixes or rubs. I gave their ribs try and they weren’t bad. At that point I was extremely hungry and the french fry on the ground looked amazing. All in all it was a great event. This is Conifer’s second BBQ Challenge and they had about 40 vendors ranging from beer (no gf 🙁 ) to bbq to shaved ice and smokers for purchase, live music and a cannon that went off every once in a while. Not sure what that was all about.
So this has reminded me that I need to get the gluten do’s and don’ts up. It’s always nice to have a place to remind you of what is safe and what’s not.
Here’s a recipe for Baked Corn Fritters. All gluten-free, of course. I like these because they are baked. No oil, no messy clean up— which is always nice and they are super easy. I hope you enjoy!
- ½ cup corn meal
- ¾ cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn, cooked
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together corn meal, flour, baking powder, pepper and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl, stir together corn, milk, egg, onions and cheese.
- Add flour mixture to corn mixture and stir until combined.
- Scoop a ¼ cup of batter onto prepared baking sheet. (Makes about 7-8 fritters)
- Bake for about 13 minutes then flip fritters and bake for 10 more minutes.